When a person has publicly defamed me, in an extremely public…

Customer Question
When a person has publicly...
When a person has publicly defamed me, in an extremely public forum, calling me out by name accusing me of multiple counts of something i did not remotely do, i.e. completely non- factual statements, what can i actually sue for? if there is no way to prove a particular financial loss, but the statements have and will continue to destroy my reputation, can i sue for any significant monetary value or am i just suing to prove my innocence and hoping the court of public opinion catches wind?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
5/20/2015
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
You can sue for monetary damages but this specific reason is why so few slander/defamation cases are filed. You have to spend a substantial amount of money hiring an attorney, attorney's fees are not a recoverable item of damages, and actual damages are hard to prove.
If you can prove an actual damage amount, for example if you own a business and can point to a reduction in business income for the period of time beginning when the slander began, then you can recover those damages amounts but otherwise juries typically don't award an amount enough to justify the time and expense.