How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband owns a Servpro franchise and sometimes people we

Customer Question

My husband owns a Servpro franchise and sometimes people we do work for customers who decide they do not have to pay. In some cases their insurance pays them direct and they are suppose to pay us out of that money and they do not. What are some legal steps we can take to get paid?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
If your initial collection efforts don't work (phone calls, letters, etc.), your ultimate remedy is to file suit (usually in small claims court) for breach of contract.If his business is an LLC or a Corp., it will require a lawyer to represent the business (these entities cannot represent themselves "pro per" in court), but if you draft your contracts with an "attorney's fees" clause or a "prevailing party's" clause it will allow you to collect these fees in addition to the unpaid fees (you can also include interest and collection costs in these contracts).