Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had put a review in a company with no details just facts.

Customer Question
The son owner send me...
I had put a review in a company with no details just facts. The son owner send me a yelp message sayng if I didn't remove false alligations (which are true-he does a crimal record and company did get suit) his lawyer and yelp will procecute me and sue me. Can they do that. i got scare and deleted my yelp account. My co-workers tell me no. This person did my family wrong and I do want to post more of a legal review maybe get their background.
Please advice if they can suit me and if I can legally give an honest true review on this comapny.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Need to know how to run public records on Origen Bakery Equipment in El Monte CA
and a background criminal check on Miguel Angel Velasco aka junior
please email me answer and details on how and what legal advice you have for me.
5/19/2015
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma
Actually, the answer to both questions is yes
Can you legally give honest answers? Yes, absolutely.
Could this person file a lawsuit against you? Yes, they could, although filing a lawsuit and winning a lawsuit are two different things entirely.
Let's back up...
Defamation is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.
Example:
Alex says to Betty, "Charlie is a pedophile, he was convicted last week of child molestation"
In this case, if Alex's statement was true, there is no defamation
On the other hand, if Alex's statement was false, Charlie could sue to recover for any damage done to his reputation
Now, assume that Alex's statement was true but Charlie wants to sue anyways. Is that possible?
Sure, it is possible. However, under this scenario since Alex's statement is true, it is unlikely that Charlie would win the lawsuit.
What you're describing, if your statement was true, you did not commit defamation. This other person could try and sue you, however, if you can demonstrate the statements you made were accurate? The court would not awarded a judgment to the other party. And frankly, they will be wasting their time trying to sue you.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Sorry, the system indicated you have more questions...
P. Simmons, Attorney