If you are renting building space business and are

Customer Question
If you are renting building...
If you are renting building space for your business and are uanbel to pay teh rent, may the landlord lawfully size your business equpemnt that is in teh rented building without a specific provision in the lease agreement? If so are there any items taht may not be seized under these circumstances?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
5/19/2015
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
In TN, a landlord can take possession of the property of the tenant if the property is deemed abandoned. However, if there is a simply failure to pay rent, the landlord must have a notice in the lease to allow them to take possession of the property that is placed therein.
This is the law on abandonment of property in TN:
66-28-405. Abandonment. (a) The tenant's unexplained or extended absence from the premises for thirty (30) days or more without payment of rent as due shall be prima facie evidence of abandonment. The landlord is then expressly authorized to reenter and take possession of the premises. (b) (1) The tenant's nonpayment of rent for fifteen (15) days past the rental due date, together with
other reasonable factual circumstances indicating the tenant has permanently vacated the premises, including, but not limited to, the removal by the tenant of substantially all of the tenant's possessions and personal effects from the premises, or the tenant's voluntary termination of utility service to the premises, shall also be prima facie evidence of abandonment. (2) In cases described in subdivision (b)(1), the landlord shall post notice at the rental premises and shall also send the notice to the tenant by regular mail, postage prepaid, at the rental premises address. The notice shall state that: (A) The landlord has reason to believe that the tenant has abandoned the premises; (B) The landlord intends to reenter and take possession of the premises, unless the tenant contacts the landlord within ten (10) days of the posting and mailing of the notice; (C) If the tenant does not contact the landlord within the ten-day period, the landlord intends to remove any and all possessions and personal effects remaining in or on the premises and to rerent the dwelling unit; and (D) If the tenant does not reclaim the possessions and personal effects within thirty (30) days of the landlord taking possession of the possessions and personal effects, the landlord intends to dispose of the tenant's possessions and personal effects as provided for in subsection (c). (3) The notice shall also include a telephone number and a mailing address at which the landlord may be contacted. (4) If the tenant fails to contact the landlord within ten (10) days of the posting and mailing of the notice, the landlord may reenter and take possession of the premises. If the tenant contacts the landlord within ten (10) days of the posting and mailing of the notice and indicates the tenant's intention to remain in possession of the rental premises, the landlord shall comply with the provisions of this chapter relative to termination of tenancy and recovery of possession of the premises through judicial process. (c) When proceeding under either subsection (a) or (b), the landlord shall remove the tenant's possessions and personal effects from the premises and store the personal possessions and personal effects for not less than thirty (30) days. The tenant may reclaim the possessions and personal effects from the landlord within the thirty-day period. If the tenant does not reclaim the possessions and personal effects within the thirty-day period, the landlord may sell or otherwise dispose of the tenant's possessions and personal effects and apply the proceeds of the sale to the unpaid rents, damages, storage fees, sale costs and attorney's fees. Any balances are to be held by the landlord for a period of six (6) months after the sale.
This is the law on failure to pay rent:
66-28-505. Noncompliance by tenant -- Failure to pay rent. (a) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), if there is a material noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or a noncompliance with § 66-28-401 materially affecting health and safety, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement shall terminate as provided in subdivisions (a)(2) or (a)(3). (2) If the breach for which notice was given in subdivision (a)(1) is remediable by the payment of rent, the cost of repairs, damages, or any other amount due to the landlord pursuant to the rental agreement, the landlord may inform the tenant that if the breach is not remedied within fourteen (14) days after receipt of such notice, the rental agreement shall terminate upon a date not less than thirty (30) days after receipt of the notice, subject to the following: (A) All repairs to be made by the tenant to remedy the tenant's breach must be requested in writing by the tenant and authorized in writing by the landlord prior to such repairs being made; provided, however, that the notice sent pursuant to this subdivision (a)(2) shall inform the tenant that prior written authorization must be given by the landlord to the tenant pursuant to this subdivision (a)(2)(A); and (B) If substantially the same act or omission which constituted a prior noncompliance of which notice was given recurs within six (6) months, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement upon at least fourteen (14) days' written notice specifying the breach and the date of termination of the rental agreement. (3) If the breach for which notice was given in subdivision (a)(1) is not remediable by the payment of rent, the cost of repairs, damages, or any other amount due to the landlord pursuant to the rental agreement, the landlord may inform the tenant that the rental agreement shall terminate upon a date not less than thirty (30) days after receipt of the notice. (4) Nothing in subdivision (a)(2) or (a)(3) shall be construed as requiring a landlord to provide additional notice to the tenant other than the notice required by this section. (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), if the tenant waives any notice required by this section, the landlord
may proceed to file a detainer warrant immediately upon breach of the agreement for failure to pay rent without the landlord providing notice of such breach to the tenant; provided, however, that this subsection (b) shall not reduce the tenant's grace period as provided in § 66-28-201. The tenant's waiver pursuant to this subsection (b) shall be set out in twelve (12) point bold font or larger in the rental agreement. (c) Notwithstanding notice of a breach or the filing of a detainer warrant pursuant to this section, the rental agreement is enforceable by the landlord for the collection of rent for the remaining term of the rental agreement. (d) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the landlord may recover damages and obtain injunctive relief for any noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or § 66-28-401. The landlord may recover reasonable attorney's fees for breach of contract and nonpayment of rent as provided in the rental agreement. (e) The landlord may recover punitive damages from the tenant for willful destruction of property caused by the tenant or by any other person on the premises with the tenant's consent.
So, if the property was not abandoned and if there was no provision in the lease to allow this, then the land lord has broken the law, it appears.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please rate my answer positively.
Thanks!
Did you have any additional questions? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!