How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been accused of a Social Security Disability over payment

Customer Question

I have been accused of a Social Security Disability over payment and have filed a reconsideration and would like to know the status of my claim, as this is having an adverse effect on my credit scores and I am now in the process of buying a home and would like this removed from all three of my credit reports. Thanking you in advance for your expertise in this matter. Sincerely, ***** *****(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, unfortunately it is not likely that you are going to be able to get the Social Security Administration to remove the report while your appeal is pending (the government's position in these hearings is that their position is correct and that while the beneficiary has a right to a review, the government's default is to maintain the reports until either 1) your appeal is concluded in your favor, or 2) you repay the overpayment).If you are not represented by counsel in your social security appeal, I would strongly recommend that you do so - Social Security carries a very high case load and it is not uncommon for errors to occur (often causing erroneous claims of overpayment for example), but you will be best served by legal counsel (and if you are in the process of trying to buy a home, you will want to put this matter behind you as quickly as possible.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help! I have been trying to avoid added expenses of hiring an attorney!
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
This is one of those cases where hiring an attorney is probably going to be worth it (the amount you save in not hiring an attorney is going to be greatly overshadowed by the risk you run by losing your appeal that can potentially be offset by simply hiring a lawyer to represent you).Ultimately this is a decision you need to make, but I would strongly suggest considering it in this situation.

Related Legal Questions