Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Good Afternoon. I am a catholic priest serving in the Archdiocese

Customer Question
of Miami, Florida. My name...
Good Afternoon. I am a catholic priest serving in the Archdiocese of Miami, Florida. My name is***** My Parish is St. James in North Miam. I have been in the present parish as a Pastor for the past 17 years. We have a school run by the Sister of St Joseph of St Augustine. We worked very hard to turn the school into a safe environment for our children. The Sisters wanted to grow the school with portable classrooms. The city officials advised against it and I agreed with them The school is too close to expressway 1_95. It is not a safe area. One thing led to another, the sisters have said to the Archbishop they will not say if I stay. I was the one who hired them in the first place. I have always treated them with respect and worked harmoniously with them
The archbishop[ has been giving me ultimatum: to step down so that the Sisters could stay: either to take a sabbatical, or to be transitioned to a new assignment or be removed from the parish. I said that I would take the sabbatical because of health issues related to a car accident I was involved recently. I need to go and take care of my health. While I am away he can put another priest to take care of the parish. But I am not going to tend my resignation until I receive a new assignment.
Please advise. I need to know my rights.
Thank you very much for your consideration and your time
Msgr. Jean Pierre
Pastor
Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 4 days by:
5/23/2015
Lawyer: canonlaw,
 replied 2 years ago
canonlaw
I beg you pardon for the extreme delay. I was hospitalized for several days and only now I am getting back to my usual work. Going to your question, I have to say that you are very well orientated in what sounds fair and just: seek the sabbatical for at least one year with benefits and avoid in any way any attempt of resignation. Taking in account the situation not created by you, some months under other priest's guidance would reduce stress and permit the changes. But after more time you should have the right to return and at that time consider with calm what to do: if accept a new position or remain there looking at the sisters and their project with a different perspective. Another detail: ask that the sabbatical period be perfectly described by a written document. Hope this would help. Let me know if you need more advise. Sorry again for the delay. Blessings!
canonlaw
canonlaw
canonlaw