How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118676
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In texas is there a statue of limitations civil suit.

Customer Question

in texas is there a statue of limitations for a civil suit. my exwife was ordered in 2008 to pay half of all back taxes with the IRS and she never has. I contacted the IRS and they stated since the debt was paid by me I would have to civilly sue here.
She owes approx. $17,000 but I see that the max I can get through small claims court is $10,000
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is not complying with the court order in paying the debt, then she is in contempt of court, so you can file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court in the court that issued the order in the family court case. There is a 10 year statute of limitations for enforcing a court judgment as well by filing a motion for writ of enforcement against her in the court that issued the judgment.
Otherwise, the statute of limitations on this type of case in Texas would be for reimbursement and loss of your property, so it would be 2 years from date it occurred.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I need an attorney to sue and if not what steps do I need to follow
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You do need an attorney to go back to court to pursue a contempt of court motion and writ to enforce judgment against her. This needs to be filed in the same court that issued the order to her to pay her share of the debt.