How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was in an accident a year or so no tickets were given and

Customer Question

Was in an accident a year or so no tickets were given and the report says the fault was 50/50. The other driver cut in front of me so quick I was unable to stop right away and later was served as they were coming after me for $100,000.00 in damages. The
lawyers my car ins appointed to represent me in the case told me the case settled. I was shocked being I was not given the chance to give my sworn testimate under oath of what happened. My lawyer told me when court would be for my sworn statement but they
never did. After the second time I contacted them is when I was informed. Is thier any justice I can do like a counter suite ? As this has been very emotional and stressing on me. Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
The other party filed suit for their damages, which you correctly turned in to your insurance carrier. The insurance company hired attorneys to handle the case, which resulted in some kind of settlement with the other party. As a result of that settlement you have been released from any further liability . You cannot counter sue in that case because it is over. But, if you did not sign a statement admitting fault, then you may still sue the other party for your damages. If you were not seriously injured, you cannot do so just to tell your story under oath. The lawyers representing you via your insurance company must must have felt that some payment to the other person was warranted under the circumstances. You would have a difficult time finding an attorney to take your case at this point. I know that this is not exactly what you wished to hear, but we are obligated to inform you correctly about your situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the response. But what makes it upsetting is because the other party's damages were less than mine. And the lady (passenger) had asked for me to say she was driving and not the gentleman as it was her vehicle and she has full coverage so her ins will take care of my damages as well as hers. I know it was wrong of me to have lied being the guy was actually driving with no insurance/drivers licence. She instructed me to tell the officer that she was in fact driving and I only agreed being my financial difficulties at the time and I believed her (not knowing she was scamming me) as I couldn't imagine she was setting me up. It blows me away on how people who lie get away with a lot and the ones who are honest get the short end of the stick.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about any of that now. I presume you told that to your insurance adjuster, and they did not think it would affect the outcome of a trial, so they settled.I hope this information has been helpful and that you will assign a positive rating. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.