Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I think my hippa rights my have been violated. A police officer

Customer Question
I think my hippa rights...
I think my hippa rights my have been violated. A police officer released my personal medical information to the public without my consent. I have cancer. From what i read online so far this seems to break the hippa privacy policy for police.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/16/2015
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
HIPAA prevents HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS from disclosing your health information to other parties. It does not apply, however, to the police, since the police are not health care providers as defined in the Federal act. The police have no obligations under HIPAA.
The police have no duty of confidentiality to you. That doesn't mean that the police can spread untrue stories about you, however. If they are doing anything like that, you could report the officers involved to their superiors, file a report with Internal Affairs and report them also to the State Attorney General's Office, which should trigger an investigation into the officer's practices, and subject the officers involved to possible sanctions such as warning, suspension or termination from the force.
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney