How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4064
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a Car honda 1990 civic runing in good condición When

Customer Question

I sold a Car honda 1990 civic runing in good condición When a person Nown person by a family friend came to my house and ask for the car if I'm selling it I told the third party Yes then this person ask me for my phone number then a week later she ask me to send her pictures . Later , they came to see the car two days later. She inspect the car and drove it she couldn't drive shift stick she struggle to much with the shifting but she still wanted . To buy it. I verbally told her this is not a bran new car but it's reliableit never gave me any problem the only parts I replace was the cloch I told she insist she still wanted the car the third party even told the buyer there is more to see other options she told the buyer. The buyer insist to buy it right o way then we agree to go to a dmv office where they make the transfers and sell you the insurance they agree that they didn't want to pay taxes for the car so as a favor I toll the office person she was my ni se. And smoke check becuase I didn't need to make one if I wanted to transfer her the car . So both party agree. buyer agree To Pay For tranfering te car skiping smog chek both Party agree On putting it as My nise so go For tranferiing. A week later se call me saying the car heat up and is no good she wants refound money back and the stamennt she said was o yesterday around 11:00 pm I was driving the car and it heat up I replace two hoses that my friend did for me but the car still heat so I told her that she is responsalbe for her wrong doing to the car it's out of my hand I told her. The car was in good stand . Never made a repair on the engine. Today she call and said that the repair its going to cost her 2000 dollar she wants 1000 back what rights do I have ? . she said she will suit me for it if I don't pay her and she is bulling with the agreement we both said at the dmv office . That is the law you should smoke it and if I don't give her the money shell suit. The car was sold as is. I didn't hope this by any wrong doing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What rights do I have to protect my self
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If she make the law suit what is it that I did wrong
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
Cars that are sold through private parties (not dealers) are assumed to be sold "as is". This means that there is no warranty in regard to the seller who sold the car. Unless you made false statements or specific promises in regard to the car, the buyer is responsible for repairs once they buy the car.
This means that you have no responsibilities n regard to the car as the seller. If she sues you she will be suing in small claims court. You can represent yourself in small claims court. If she sues you you will receive a summons and complaint. File a written response to the complaint saying the car was sold as is. Go to the hearing and testify to that. You should be OKAY.
I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck,
Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok , I don't have a letter stating the car was sold as is and it was verbally . Do I write it and sub meet it or how is it done?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the excellent follow up question.
While, it would have been better if it was written, it is not required.
There is little you can do now, other than send a letter to her saying that you deny her claims and that the car was sold "as is."
Because it was a private party sale the court will assume it was an "as is" sale. If you go to court just testify that you sold it "as is."
If you send the letter send it certified or fed ex so you have a receipt of delivery and keep a copy of the letter.
Good luck.
(Please do not forget to rate me. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good karma for you. Thank you.)
Kind regards,