Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just had money taken out of my account legal order is this legal. It was a credit

Customer Question

I just had money taken out of my account for a legal order is this legal.
It was a credit card debt unsecured. I hired a debt forgiveness guy who took a $1000 and ran, I tried to dispute the charges and now have a judgement against me and now money out of my husbands account that I am on.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order for them to take any money from your bank account, they had to have a judgment against you. Once they get a judgment against you, they can file a writ of seizure/execution to serve on the bank for any account on which you are named and that is how they are able to seize money out of the account. Even if your husband's name is ***** ***** account, as long as your name is ***** ***** as joint tenant, then that account is considered your account as well and they are allowed to take the money from it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if the funds in that account do not belong to me and I have proof of a loan account
Thank you for your reply.
If you can prove the funds belong to someone else besides you and your husband, or they are retirement income funds, then you could seek to get them exempt, but a loan is not something that would count as exempt funds.
Now, if you paid someone to resolve this debt you could have sued them for breach of contract for not doing so and causing the judgment to be entered against you.