How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Havent paid mortgage years, can bank confiscate my saving

Customer Question

Havent paid mortgage for 3 years, can bank confiscate my saving account?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Yes, they can. Kentucky Stat., Section 391.355 allows for what is called a "Right to Setoff." When someone owes the bank money, the bank is allowed to withdraw money from any other account on which the person has signing authority - even if it's a joint account belonging to someone else. They can't take the money while a loan account is current, but they can set off past due amounts or an overdraft balance on one account by deducting funds from another.
This is also usually noted somewhere in the account disclosures the bank hands out when a person opens an account.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.