Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

There I recently got divorced and I requested in my

Customer Question
Hi there I recently got divorced...
Hi there
I recently got divorced and I requested in my divorce decree that I be given the rights to get my maiden name back. During the final proceedings the judge also enforced and honored my request. So I read that its pretty much taken care of. But do I still need to change it with the SS# *****? Thanks Allie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/14/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your reply.

You need to take the order authorizing you to return to your maiden name to the SS Office to have them file a name change form (http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5fs.pdf ). Also, you need to bring the court order to DMV if you have not done so already to change your name with them as well.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney