Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I am paying federal restitution 1995 offense. In a meeting

Customer Question

I am paying federal restitution for a 1995 offense. In a meeting yesterday with a member of the U.S. Attorney office (3rd circuit) I was told that the judgement, which expires in 2018, would probably not be renewed. Hard to say why the comment was made. I owe a lot.
Question: assuming the judgement expires, even though the order is still in effect, what is the enforceability of the debt? Can the DOJ pursue collection, such as an action to hold me in contempt, even though it is for a pre-MVRA case?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you.
To answer directly, once the debt is not renewed, it cannot be enforced. So if it happens that the government does not renew and you stop paying, the government would not be able to pursue you for the difference. The debt will remain on record but it would be seen as uncollectible at that point.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.