How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am paying federal restitution 1995 offense. In a meeting

Customer Question

I am paying federal restitution for a 1995 offense. In a meeting yesterday with a member of the U.S. Attorney office (3rd circuit) I was told that the judgement, which expires in 2018, would probably not be renewed. Hard to say why the comment was made. I owe a lot.
Question: assuming the judgement expires, even though the order is still in effect, what is the enforceability of the debt? Can the DOJ pursue collection, such as an action to hold me in contempt, even though it is for a pre-MVRA case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you most kindly for requesting me to assist you.
To answer directly, once the debt is not renewed, it cannot be enforced. So if it happens that the government does not renew and you stop paying, the government would not be able to pursue you for the difference. The debt will remain on record but it would be seen as uncollectible at that point.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Legal Questions