Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

John, a delivery boy , delivered two heavy packages

Customer Question
John, a delivery boy for...
John, a delivery boy for shoprite, delivered two heavy packages to Mrs. Reed. He rang the bell and Mrs. Reed asked him to put the heavy packages in her kitchen. As he carried the packages through the living room the milk spilt and damaged her new carpet. Since she was moving a cabinet in her family he offered to help her. As he was helping her move the cabinet, he was more interested in watching her than the cabinet, and he tripped over an antique table damaging it.
A) Can Mrs Reed recover the damages to her carpet from shoprite?
B) Can Mrs. Reed recover the damages to her antique table from SHoprite??
c)Can MRs. Reed recover the damages from John?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/12/2015
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
Assuming that the milk spilt as a proximate cause of John's carelessness, Mrs. Reed may recover for the damage to her carpet from both John and Shoprite if it is determined that John was acting within the scope of his employment when he agreed to take the packages to the kitchen as opposed to leaving them at the front door.
B) Can Mrs. Reed recover the damages to her antique table from SHoprite?
Since moving furniture does not appear to be within the scope of John's employment with Shoprite, Shoprite will not be responsible for John's negligence resulting in damage to the table. Mrs. Reed can recover from John for this, however.
See above.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney