How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to change the executor and the amount of distribution

Customer Question

I want to change the executor and the amount of distribution to each child, can I do this with a codicil, and does it have to be filed with the county I live in, like my will was
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Yes, you can use a codicil to achieve these things. Generally, a codicil is a document that amends -- rather than replaces -- a previously executed will. Amendments made by a codicil may add or revoke small provisions (e.g., changing executors), or may completely change the majority, or all, of the gifts under the will.
Also, the codicil would be filed with the court just like your will if it has been filed.