How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a licensed contractor to build a room addition for

Customer Question

I hired a licensed contractor to build a room addition for my property. He did not provided the contract agreement. He did not complied with City approved drawings plan, and the jobs that he did was incorrect and incomplete. But I paid over the value of what he did.
Now he ask me to pay more while I want that he must correct the job to comply with the drawings plan. I don't agreed to pay as his request. He filed to sue me.
Today, I received the summons (citation judicial) that I am being sued by plaintiff, and I have 30 days to file answer. Do I need a construction lawyer to file answer or I must have a form to filled up to answer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Because you are saying he was in breach of contract in not properly doing the work agreed upon under contract and did not provide you a copy of the contract, you need to file an answer and counterclaim as well. Because of the cost involved here, you need to really consider getting a local attorney to represent you in this case, since you have claims against him in response to his suit against you.
If he is filing in small claims court you can choose to do this without an attorney and you would file a defendant's claim in accordance with the CA Small Claims process found at: You need to have all of your evidence and photos available and witnesses when you go to small claims on your hearing date.