Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I am asking this question nephew. He plans on starting

Customer Question

I am asking this question for my nephew. He plans on starting a painting business in Sarasota County, Florida and would like to know what licenses, and other forms are necessary to do so. His plans include doing Interiors and Exteriors of homes and would only include himself in this business, not hiring any employees.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
If all your nephew is doing is painting he does not need a contractor license issued by the state. But if he plans to do any type of construction or deconstruction work he needs a state license. In those cases if he doesn't have a license he can not sue if the customer doesn't pay him.
But if he stays strictly with painting he is fine with the business license. This link will explain this in more detail.
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/Servicesthatrequirealicense_Construction.html
He will want to develop a contract to protect himself and it would be good to get insurance.
Here is a site where he can get a basic contract form:
http://www.alllaw.com/forms/construction/contractor_agreement
I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck,
Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.