How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greetings! My son had filed a complaint on a undercover officer

Customer Question

My son had filed a complaint on a undercover officer in Nov. 2013 and has never received any kind of official response from any of the offices this complaint was referred to. This officer has since retired.
What is the next step for us to find the status of this complaint?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
The law doesn't require that the public be informed about internal discipline of an officer, which is likely what happened in this situation. Personnel files are confidential and not required to be released. The only way it could become public is if some finding was made against the officer and he took the matter to court. That said, the highway patrol MAY release the information at their discretion. The best way to go about that is to file an open records request with the highway patrol, asking for the results of that specific complaint. Again, they don't have to release it to you, but they still may.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.