How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An expert witness says he believes in the case and is willing

Customer Question

An expert witness says he believes in the case and is willing to take on the case to testify. But once he got the retainer, his witness is he doesn't believe there is malpractice. So yes he is here to scam for money without doing the real thing(testify in court). What are the different thing I can do to get my money back? Please list as many options as available. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the expert intentionally mislead you to believe you had a case in order to collect money and then turned around and said you did not have a case, then you have a basis to sue him for breach of contract based on misrepresentation. Had he told you initially he did not know if you had a case you would not have signed the contract and that misrepresentation was relied upon in your agreeing to the contract with him.

So you can sue him in court to get your money back.

You can also file a complaint with his professional licensing board that he misrepresented himself to collect the fee and then once the fee was collected he changed his opinion and you believe his initial opinion was merely to induce you to pay the fee.

Those are the legal options you have available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information! Sorry I didn't see it till now. Let's say if he has retired, can I still file a complaint with his professional licensing board? Which board would that be when it comes to veterinary?

Can I write of the attorney general in his state?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of the US on a client matter and had terrible internet service.

Even if he has retired, if he still has a license you could file a complaint to the licensing board, but they cannot do much to him and cannot make him pay you for any damages.

The attorney general is not involved. You have to sue the person for their negligent information and conduct.