How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of trying to file a retraining order against

Customer Question

I am in the process of trying to file a retraining order against my husband for domestic abuse. I am having a difficult time getting away from work to be able to go file the paperwork and anticipate more of the same for court dates. Do I have any legal protection to be able to take time away from work for this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. While federal law allows for time off work in cases of medical needs, I am sorry to say that no inherent right to take time off work for domestic violence, etc, is allowed.
Thus, it is at the employer's discretion.
Now, note that one can have an ATTORNEY file the paperwork, which would only need one to then appear once in Court, really. Let me know if you need help finding counsel, especially pro bono or low cost in the state.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a referral for low cost attorney service but again am unable to take the time off of work to do the necessary intake. I feel trapped. Thank you for your response.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
I understand. Please note that this may only require a few hours of your time once or twice, so it may not necessarily require the whole day.
I wish I could provide more options, but I am limited as the laws are limited.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.