How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friends friend gave him a 1963 caddy,but before he ever

Customer Question

My friends friend gave him a 1963 caddy,but before he ever recived a title fore the car his friend passed away,so the car has been my yard fore sum time, so i askd him what was he going to do with the car,an he gave it to me as a gift, but with no title, how would i fill out ownership cerfication forms to recive the title to this car thank u fore ur time
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to learn of your loss.Unfortunately, without title to the vehicle, your friend will need to file what is called a "declaratory relief" action in civil court and request that a judge issue a court order granting title in his name. He can then take this court order to the DMV and they will issue him a title for the vehicle.He will need to name the grantor's estate as a defendant in the lawsuit (and anyone else that may reasonably have a claim to the vehicle, if anyone does).These claims are usually resolved on a "default judgment" basis (nobody appears in court as you are not asking for a money judgment and are not asserting wrongdoing against anyone), and are usually resolved in 3-6 months.