Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I brought charges against my boss in union organization , one

Customer Question
of my close friends decided...
I brought charges against my boss in union organization , one of my close friends decided to side with my boss against me. she is one of the executive consul on board also, I do take several medication for different problems that I have that she knows about them. During the investigation she submitted written statement to the administrates who were conduction the investigation , letting them know that what I was charging my boss with was not through because I was taking medications for depression and not getting enough sleeps and so on. the statement was read out loud in front of all my other workers in district meeting and now everyone knows that I do take medication. My question is ;for her to be part of executive consul , can she talk about my personal medical information, is it not what HIPPA act is ? do I have case against her ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/6/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer that I will provide you with is likely not favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. This is in fact what is not really related to HIPAA unless you are a member of a medical facility of some kind. HIPAA was designed to protect 'patient confidentiality', and specifically covers medical facilities (including nurses doctors and other medical professionals), medical clearinghouses such as medical billers, and medical insurance companies. It does not cover individuals. While you may have a private cause of action for 'invasion of privacy', specifically for 'public disclosure of private facts', this is not a violation under HIPAA. But it can be an invasion of privacy suit against her for the dissemination of such information.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.

thank you for been honest with me , and no I will not kill the messenger lol, I really like the extra information that you gave me and I will let other people know about his site , you were great help and I thank you again

It was my pleasure, truly. Should you ever need me again, you can absolutely request me directly by name. Please let your friends know, I have personally been on this site close to 6 years now, and we really do try our best to help and explain whenever possible. I do wish you the very best, ***** ***** hope that you are able to get this resolved amicably. Have a wonderful evening, and if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney