Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

A woman brought her dog to me and told me she could take care

Customer Question

A woman brought her dog to me and told me she could take care of it due to moving. I took care of the dog for over a year. I had to pay a $300 pet fee to my apartments. I also had to pay $50 for an update on the dog shots etc. I bought the dog food and took care of her for over a year. I paid a $167 Vet bill when the dog was sick. She never paid any of the Vet bills. The she was kicked out of my apartment for stealing and drug use. She wants her clothes etc back (including the dog). I told her to bring back the items she borrowed from me and I would return her clothes. She did not comply with my request.I was walking the dog and she and two others ambushed me and the dog. She ducked low from behind me and grabbed the dog. The dog yelped and gave me an alarmed look. She said to the dog "say goodbye because he will never see you again. I told her to give me the dag and she ran away from me. I chased her and pulled the dog away from her.Since then I registered the dog (in my name) in Baltimore city and had the dog micro-chipped in my name. I was told by animal control that after a period of time the dog is considered abandoned by their former owner if they do not provide care for the animal.I love this dog and want to care for her. Do I have legal rights of ownership of the dog?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am a licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service. This response is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by our discussion today and this conversation is not confidential.
I'm a bit unclear on this situation. Was this woman your roommate?