How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30383
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is jointly on a leased vehicle with her

Customer Question

My girlfriend is jointly on a leased vehicle with her ex-husband. He uses the vehicle and pays for insurance on that vehicle. My question is this: What is the extent of my girlfriend's liability if he gets in an accident using that vehicle? I have received
an answer from an attorney but I would like confirmation that he is correct. He says that in California (where we live), her liability is limited to 10K per claim and 30K for multiple claims and since the minimum liability requirements in CA cover that, she
has no liability as long as he maintains insurance on the vehicle. The exception would be if the ex-husband has a history of reckless driving or a drinking problem, then she could be exposed to a claim for negligent entrustment and the sky is the limit. Could
someone please confirm this for me? Thank you very much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If she has any reason to believe that it's not safe for her ex-husband to drive the car and she lets him drive it anyway, that could give her liability under negligent entrustment. Some of the most common examples of that are if a person is known to have been drinking when they take the car, has a drinking problem, or is known to be a bad or reckless driver.
Otherwise, her liability is limited to: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for damage to a third party's property. Their insurance policy should provide coverage up to those limits. You can find those limitations in Cal. Veh. Code, Section 17151(a).
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.