How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28384
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend of 20 yrs. asked me to move in with in him to

Customer Question

My boyfriend of 20 yrs. asked me to move in with in him to help take care of his mother house who had just passed. Him being unemployed & no income I did. I have been living with him for 10 yrs. In the mean time he refinanced the home but without my name on it. Since then I hve paid for everything, house payment , energy, water,groceries, home improvements, home necessities including personal necessities & many home repairs. Now at this time he wants to break up, meaning I have to move. What are my rights? I live in Michigan which no longer recognizes common law relationships.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In order for you to have a claim in the home, he would have either needed to add you to title or entered into an agreement with you, whereby his promised to give you a legal right/ interest in it, if you paid for all these things. Unless there was an agreement to do so, the court would likely look at this situation as something you voluntarily did and he never agreed to repay you and/or give you a right in the home. As such, he can ask that you move out. If you have evidence that there was an agreement to repay you, give you a share of the home or he tricked, lied and deceived you, you may have a claim, if there is evidence to support it. If not and this is a matter of a relationship ending and him asking you to move, you may not have any rights to exercise. I know it was not what you were hoping to hear but I need to be upfront and honest, as this is a risk that comes with dating someone for a while, never getting married or never taking steps to protect your interest Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided