Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A dance studio i just to take classes at is using a video of

Customer Question
me dancing in they're facebook...
a dance studio i just to take classes at is using a video of me dancing in they're facebook account to get people to take classes at they're studio. how do i go about getting it taken down?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/4/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) You may or may not see a timer on the question. The site is doing some testing, but do not worry, this timer should not get in our way. The question may be answered sooner than the timer ends, or a little after. The timer may reset or it may not. Point is - I will try and make it work for our conversation; and(C) For the sake of clarity I may break my replies into several parts, so there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies. Ergo, until you see me saying "I am ready to be rated," that means I am still working with you and we have not finished yet. I am sorry to hear about this. Perhaps the strongest argument here would be the invasion of privacy- appropriation of Name or Likeness. This is when someone uses their name or likeness for benefit without the other party's permission.A letter from an attorney threatening to sue may do the trick, and/or one can simply file suit. However, the letter is recommended as this can resolve this matter without litigation.At the same time, one can file a request with FACEBOOK about them using one's images without permission using the tabs FB has, although FB generally only takes down videos/photos if they are illicit or threatening, meaning that FB may not act, and leave this up to the Court unless the owner takes it down personally.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
How do we go about moving forward with the letter ? i really need this to be taken care of.
What state is this in?
Newyork
NYC or not?
Long Island, Newyork
I am not from NY. Long Island is not part of NYC, correct? Or, is it?
It is part of nyc
Thank you. May I recommend the NYC Bar referral program - HERE. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP. Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law