How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After being appointed executor of my mothers will, I was accused

Customer Question

After being appointed executor of my mothers will, I was accused and a police report was filled alleging that I took 250,000 from a safe. I've cared for my mother remotely for years having surveillance implemented, home health services, dealing with my mothers health..... I've never seen police report. We contracted an investigator to meet with parties who accused me, though they, family declined.
My mom has been ill, I was not notified, though home health services had called me, I was listed as an emergency contact- later home health services never took my calls.
I've heard recordings, that I took money's from a safe which was drilled based on the accusation, though the investigator went to speak to the locksmith and he was told that they were not going to speak to him! That the daughter the thief took the money!
The report was filled after, the police was called in in regards ***** ***** person being the executor!
I also interviewed a cleaning lady, ~ 2 yrs ago, who had difficulty in stating my name, when we have been in contact for 2 yrs per texting or phone calls. She reports that my mother insist that along with my sister and common law daugheter in law that I broke in.
The ironic thing is the fact I had ADT surveillance and sensors placed all over the house, there is a record when, where any such door has been opened, that is proof alone.
I'm concerned about my mom, however the slander and my emotional well being has been greatly affected.
I am searching for an aggressive attorney who thinks I may have a case.
Thank you,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In addition I took a polygraph test which I passed in October 2014, just in case this was to go to criminal court. I retained an attorney for representation.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Hello Cynthia. I see that you have retained an attorney. What is your question for us? what kind of civil case, do you think you might have and against whom might it be brought? Also, please note that we do not provide direct legal services to our customers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a criminal attorney representing me, however my understanding is this is a civil matter, slander and being ostracized. I would like my name cleared. I need help!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Need to be pointed in the right direction!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brought against my sister, my sister daughter -in-law, mother and cleaning lady.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unclear, need further response ? What is your opinion
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Wrongfully accusing a person of committing a crime (theft) constitutes defamation which is actionable civilly. In order to recover damages you will need to prove that the statement was made to people who believed it, and held you in contempt, or less of their opinion of you because of it. It is a very difficult case to make, and don't be surprised if you cannot find a lawyer who wishes to take it on. Lawsuits are very, very expensive , and if there is no "pot of gold" at the end, attorneys will be disinterested.