How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19291
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was to pay restution in 1980 and they were to take it out my income tax refunds, it has

Customer Question

I was to pay restution in 1980 and they were to take it out my income tax refunds, it has been since 1981. The DOC never took it out tell 2014. The people who were entitled restitution sold the business in 1986. I called to find out what happened to my refund because my tax people told me I was get a refund. The DOC sent it to the new owners that have nothing to do with the case. I called DOC they told me they just send it to the address of the business. The new owners cashed the check the name of business was changed when bought, On the check it has one business and they cashed it under a different name. They new the check didn't belong to the because it said what it was for and 1980 was on the check
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The new owners changed the name to Plaza in 1986. The check from Montana State refund from DOC said restitution from 1980 to Don Plaza. The people from the Plaza deposited the check with the stamp of the Plaza. I feel they have committed fraud since it doesn't belong to them. I also talked to the owner he said he was only talking to the people that sent the check.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Your issue is with the State of Montana and DOC not with the new owners. If your record shows that you have satisfied the Judgment, then that should be the end of it. Otherwise, State of Montana/DOC needs to get the check back from the new owners. If you are not getting anywhere with them, you should contact the Prosecutor's Office.

Related Legal Questions