How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33564
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a totally disabled deaf-mute son, who is 45 years old!

Customer Question

We have a totally disabled deaf-mute son, who is 45 years old! He has his own place, right down the street from us! But we help him with errands, as he doesn't drive! He doesn't know how to use a phone, and has never wanted to learn! He can't speak - he never learned how to lip read, because he was deaf at a year and a half old! He uses total sign language with us and with other people that can understand sign! That's why I have always helped him with phone calls, health care issues, etc. We take him to his doctors, etc. and I interpret with sign language when he doesn't have an interpreter - which is most of the time!
Myquestion is this: His current health care provider - FreedomHealth Care, which is a medicare advantage insurance company here in state of Fl. They will not honor thehealthcare form which they have beengiven - giving me the right to speak for Brian for anything heneeds from the insurance company which is hishealth plan! This form has been good enough for the last 3 years - Now all of a sudden - they will not let me speak for him over the phone, order any supplies for his CPap machine,which he needs for his breathing at nighttime! So I would like to know what to do about it! He cannot talk on the phone or hear on the phone, and they willnot honor the health care form that Brian has signed givingme that right! What do we do? Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.There are only two real choices. The first is t hire an attorney to write them a letter and if they don't correct the issue then you file a lawsuit.The second option is to file a complaint with your state's Department of Insurance and allege they are violating the Americans with Disabilities Act and acting in bad faith.That complaint can be filed at