How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have several old failure to appear charges in GA keeping

Customer Question

I have several old failure to appear charges in GA keeping me from getting a drivers license in IL.what options do I have to fix this other than going broke?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Would you mind sharing with me why you failed to appear? Are the cases still open? Why was this never resolved? I am just trying to get an idea of what happened and how it got to this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I lived in an area without any legal transportation and at that time no money, warrant was already issued, the citations were for driving on suspended license and no insurance. Now some 4 years later Im living in Chicago a couple blocks away from my job with a little money saved up and now trying to get my drivers license back.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It is important to remember that driving is a privilege, not a right, so the State has a basis to suspend your license for failing to appear, resolve tickets/citations and pay them. As such, if you want to get your license back, a motion would need to first be filed to lift the warrants if they were issued and ask that the court reset the court dates and then you would need to appear to resolve the driving on a suspended license charge and no insurance. If you could appear and show that you cured all the problems and have a valid license and insurance, it could be a mitigating factor for the court to consider and the State may agree to dismiss or amended some of the charges, to reduce the fines and court costs. If you do not want to go back, you can retain an attorney to do this, as well. I know you said you have a little money saved up, so you could see if the attorney would agree to a payment plan to start the process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would be the going rate for an attorney for something like this?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
How many tickets do you have or open cases?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The DMV in GA said 7 dating back in 2/9/11 for a total of $1270.00
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Prices are going to certainly vary with that many to resolve but you could be looking at $1500-$2000 possible for representation. The attorney will charge less for a civil infraction then something criminal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!