Hi, my wife had an accident a few months ago. She was standing…

Customer Question
Hi, my wife had an...
Hi, my wife had an accident a few months ago. She was standing still on a school parking lot, and a student backed into her car. The student and his parents (and subsequently their insurance company) have declined to admit fault. The school has video footage
of the accident, and watched with my wife, together... Read full answer
of the accident, and watched with my wife, together with the school campus supervisor and a police officer. They all agreed that it was very clear that she had no fault in the accident. Since then our insurance company has made us pay our $500 deductible,
and says they are going after the other party, but nothing has happened for months. We also don't think they have even asked for the video footage from the school. Can you recommend what our best next action is (towards our insurance company?) to get back
our $500 deductible since we were not at fault at all?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2014
Lawyer: Isaac, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq., Attorney
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
What, specifically, have you tried in getting your insurance company to get this resolved, at least so far?
We have called them many times and basically complain that we should not have to pay a deductible. They say they are still researching and working with the other insurance company but have no resolution. We are worried that it will not get resolved because it has taken so long and because they have not even asked for the video we wonder how serious they are about getting this resolved. we are not ready to escalate, but I'm asking this question so we know what to do in a case where they are not able to get the other insurance company to accept responsibility.
Thank you for your follow-up and for your patience. My apologies on the delay.
Legally the insurance company does not have to return the deductible as it is a situation where they can still hold you liable for the accident expenses (even if you obviously did not do anything to cause it). Your recourse is to demand that the insurer pursue them directly, and if they fail to do so, you have 2 options to escalate. First, you can sue the student personally for damages and costs to your policy, including the deductible for the personal injury and injury to property that you experienced. Second, you can retain counsel and have the attorney file against their insurance company for your personal injuries, pain and suffering, an for personal property damage reimbursement. Perhaps that is why your insurer did not yet pursue this, they do not see you with an attorney and therefore are hoping to simply not make a decision regards ***** *****
Hope that helps clarify.
would you recommend we enlist an attorney? is it worth it for $500?
Honestly that is a tough call, an attorney's fees may be more expensive than that. If you are expecting more costs, or if your spouse suffered personal injury and is getting treatment, then getting an attorney makes sense. Otherwise pursuing small claims is prudent if your insurance company refuses to reimburse.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I was involved in an accident on the Pennsylvania turnpike.
I was involved in an accident on the Pennsylvania turnpike. When the Pennsylvania state trooper arrived on the scene, He immediately found fault with me. I had Dash cam footage that showed it was not … read more
Attorney,
I got into a minor accident. No one was injured. The
Hi,I got into a minor accident. No one was injured. The accident took place in a parking lot. I did not accept fault and my insurance company found me to be not at fault so they denied the other party… read more
KLAW
KLAW
I was backing out of a private property parking lot and was
I was backing out of a private property parking lot and was hit on my bumper. I want to understand who is at fault.… read more
Stop searching for answers—
My wife was parked in a drug store parking lot and as she was
My wife was parked in a drug store parking lot and as she was opening her door a car parking in the slot next to her hit her door. She called the police to make a report. When the police car came the … read more
hello, I must admit I am nervous because I have never experienced
hello, I must admit I am nervous because I have never experienced this before. can you help with the legal advice? I am deaf mother of 12 yrs old daughter (6th grader). She got one day in-school suspe… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
My wife was backing out of a parking lot at a park and did
My wife was backing out of a parking lot at a park and did not see any vehicles around her. She proceeded to slowly back out until she was hit by the car that was driving behind her. They did not exch… read more
TexLaw
TexLaw
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
About five to six weeks ago my wife had a run in with a swinging
About five to six weeks ago my wife had a run in with a swinging driveway gate at a public charter school in Alaska. The gate was not secured at the time of impact, during a common wind storm and does… read more
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Attorney,
My wife was involved in a car wreck in a school parking lot
My wife was involved in a car wreck in a school parking lot and no citation was issued. We had no insurance that day. My wife still gave the officer are old policy number and he let her go. She was no… read more
Attorney,
Hi, my wife was in accident. The accident happened when she
Hi, my wife was in accident. The accident happened when: she was making left turn, from left only line. She let pass all cars who was going straight, when she was making turn, woman from across gas st… read more
Managing Member,
I was stuck from behind while stopped at a red light. In Michigan,
I was stuck from behind while stopped at a red light. In Michigan, I received a 'mini-tort' of $500.00 for the damage to my vehicle. The damage is over $2,500.00. My question is: Can I file in small c… read more
As a pedestrian I was struck from behind by a vehicle in a
As a pedestrian I was struck from behind by a vehicle in a parking lot. The insurance company for the vehicle says I was at fault and will not pay medical claims. Here is my question, How do I prove m… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
My 11th grade son was in a school club that had a field trip
My 11th grade son was in a school club that had a field trip to an elementary school in the same city. The school by policy was suppose to provide a bus or get written permisiion from the parents, whi… read more
MShore Law
MShore Law
Stop searching for answers—
My ski boat got hit by a houseboat that we had rented. The
My ski boat got hit by a houseboat that we had rented. The houseboat was insured, had no damage, however, the ski boat was not insured. My 3 year old niece was upstairs with her mother, who was videot… read more
xavierjd
xavierjd
I was hit by a neighbor who was backing out of her driveway.
I was hit by a neighbor who was backing out of her driveway. I had already backed out of my driveway; and was preparing to pull-off when wham! she slams into my driver side door; crunching it and near… read more
xavierjd
xavierjd
I got accident in krogers parking lot. the other party deny
I got accident in krogers parking lot. the other party deny it is his fault. what shall i do??… read more
Advocate4You
Advocate4You
My daughter was involved in a car accident in the parking lot
My daughter was involved in a car accident in the parking lot of her college on 12/17/08. She was not at fault. Both cars have only PLPD coverage. She suffered a concussion, missed work and still expe… read more
Experienced Attorney
Experienced Attorney
I was recently involved in a car accident. It was my car ...
I was recently involved in a car accident. It was my car but I was not driving at the time. The driver pulled out in front of another car and my vehicle sustained about $2000 damage. Since I was not d… read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,
Last year, our son was involved in a minor car ...
Last year, our son was involved in a minor car accident with another student while driving at his school in Texas. The campus police wrote a report and did not find fault with either student. We found… read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,