My divorce agreement states " In the even the Wife is untimely…

My divorce agreement states "...
My divorce agreement states " In the even the Wife is untimely with either of the mortgage payments, the parties agree that the income deduction order will terminate forthwith and the Husband may apply his alimony payments directly to the mortgage payments"

There is no longer a income deduction order,... Read full answer

There is no longer a income deduction order, I pay her directly. 2 years ago she stopped paying the mortgage on the house, but she did not notify me and I only found out when I was served a lawsuit a year later. When we were married we also had a home equity loan on the house, all of which became hers in the divorce. I quit claimed the house to her and according to our divorce I am not responsible in any way for the home. I was served the lawsuit because my name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage and real estate law doesn't consider what is written in a divorce agreement. That being said, she has recently stopped paying the home equity loan, this loan will affect my credit if it is not paid (the home loan does not). I have had to pay the home equity loan twice now. I want to know if I can apply my alimony to the home equity loan...is it considered part of the mortgage?
1/29/2014
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name isXXXXX am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Home Equity Line of Credit or Home Equity Loan, might not fall under the definition of mortgage and generally since the court order only refers to mortgage, it might be a good idea to fiel a Motion with the court which has ordered the final divorce decree and to have the court review the situation and it is generally likely that the judge would approve deduction from alimony payment to be applied toward Home Equity Loan payment for which your ex-wife is responsible.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping to hear, but please understand that I do have professionalobligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!

If I go ahead and deduct the amount from alimony, and she complains about it, the court would just make me pay her the difference correct, it's $150.00?

In addition I paid for our last court mediation because she didn't have the money and she is supposed to pay that back as well. She has yet to pay it even though it's in our mediation agreement.

She already owes me over $14,000 in medical bills and attorney's fees to handle the foreclosure and we are looking at getting an alimony credit of that amount to me.

I'm just wondering if it's even going to be an issue, since her attorney is already aware of her outstanding debt to me?

Dear Johan,

Thank you for your follow up.

Any deductions from the alimony should be approved by the court and when a Motion is filed, you can ask the court to use any amount that the ex-wife owes to you, to be offset by the alimony payment amounts you owe to her and the court will review the facts related to the situation and will make a decision.

The ex-wife's attorney can still oppose or contest your request and it would be up to you and your local attorney to convince the judge that you are entitled to be compensated for any amount of money that is owed to you by your ex-wife.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My daughter just read the first draft of the divorce
My daughter just read the first draft of the divorce agreement and has worries about the way the house is being handled. He is letting her have the house, but she has to refinance in her own name with… read more
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Member,
I"m about to enter into divorce proceedings in the coming months.Ive
I"m about to enter into divorce proceedings in the coming months.I've been separated (not living in marital home over 8 mos.),no chance of anything changing. Wife has proposed separation agreement( pe… read more
lwpat
lwpat
New Jersey: I have been put on a Home Deed with my Mom and
New Jersey: I have been put on a Home Deed with my Mom and Grandmother last year.THis house had no mortgage. They owned it for 40 years. I am now applying for a Home Equity Loan at my credit Union. I … read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
Stop searching for answers—
My sister is married to a former inmate. He has been verbally
My sister is married to a former inmate. He has been verbally and mentally abusive to her and their children for years. She would like to divorce him but she thinks that she would have to sell the hou… read more
John Legal
John Legal
My wife has asked for a no fault divorce. She told me that
My wife has asked for a no fault divorce. She told me that she did not want the house and that I should seek having it refinanced since she was paying the home equity loan. I am in the process of havi… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I have been audited by IRS and have to prove alimony. IRS
I have been audited by IRS and have to prove alimony. IRS did not accept my bank transfer because it did not specify alimony payment. Can I show proof by having my ex-husband sign an affidavit stating… read more
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My husband just got out of court today. The back drop is this
My husband just got out of court today. The back drop is this: His ex was awarded 25% ($51000) of the equity in the home in the divorce. My husband gave her the portion of the equity she was awarded w… read more
My Husband of 13 years asked for a dissolution of marriage
My Husband of 13 years asked for a dissolution of marriage about a year and a half ago. I discovered he has been having a long distance relationship with a woman he met about 3 years ago. For the last… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
My wife wants a divorce. we have been in our home for one year.
My wife wants a divorce. we have been in our home for one year. She financed and qualified for the loan on her own. She makes twice the amount of income I do. She wants me to be responsible for half t… read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
I was married and currently reside in PA. I have been married
I was married and currently reside in PA. I have been married four years. I had a mortgage for 3 years prior to getting married and adding my wife to the deed (she has been on the deed since 5/07). Al… read more
Attorney,
Hello, My Missouri Divorce is final and judgment came in Aug.
Hello, My Missouri Divorce is final and judgment came in Aug. 09. My ex filed for new Trial. It was denied. There is a 50K line of credit mortgage balance on HER home but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the lo… read more
I owned my home before meeting my soon to be ex wife. Is she
I owned my home before meeting my soon to be ex wife. Is she legally entitled to any portion of the house from our divorce? Her name is XXXXX XXXXX has never appeared on the title.… read more
Law Answers
Law Answers
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
My wife and I are obviously hopelessly destined for divorce.
My wife and I are obviously hopelessly destined for divorce. We are both married more than once, for her I am marriage #4 for me she is wife #2. We have no children together however there is her daugh… read more
MShore Law
MShore Law
got a divorce and was ordered to pay alimony for 3 yrs. into
got a divorce and was ordered to pay alimony for 3 yrs. into the process for about a year now. We did not have a trial we settled out of court. my attorney advised that my deal was a good deal. unfort… read more
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions
My ex-wife is continuing to receive 50% of my pension ...
My ex-wife is continuing to receive 50% of my pension payments. Until the QDRO''s were ready, I paid these payments from my own bank account since I received 100% of the pension. My ex-wife''s lawyer … read more
LEV
LEV
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
My wife and I live in Atlanta Georgia in separate homes. My ...
My wife and I live in Atlanta Georgia in separate homes. My wife lives in the house we bought together. Both our names are XXXXX XXXXX deed and mortgage. We are estranged but have no immediate plans f… read more
Walter
Walter
Just Answer Consultant,
Am I responsible for paying mortgage assistance if If
Am I responsible for paying mortgage assistance if If I no longer live in the house or have my name on the deed ?… read more
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Senior HR Consultant and Business Devlpm,
Can an ex wife refinance a home when the ex husband is the ...
Can an ex wife refinance a home when the ex husband is the primary loan holder without his knowledge or signature? Both are on the Deed of Trust in Virginia and she is on the loan but not as the prima… read more
LegalEagle, LLC
LegalEagle, LLC
Attorney at Law,