How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102368
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement against me stemming from a wrongful death

This answer was rated:

I have a judgement against me stemming from a wrongful death suit that dates back to 1994. My employer at that time was also sued. I returned to NJ about 6 years ago. I was recently served with a garnishee.

How do I get this removed?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

I am very sorry for your situation. Please tell me - would you be willing to file a bankruptcy to void this judgment, or not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, someone suggested that might be a possibility. Is it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

More to the point...will a bankruptcy vacate the judgement?


Normally, it would, yes. That, or reduce it to pennies on the dollar.

A bankruptcy voids or minimizes debts, including judgments. Originally seen as the last resort option, this is becoming increasingly a choice for many Americans. Also, one's credit rating is hurt, but begins to rebound almost immediately. It is off one's credit history in about 7 years from the date of discharge. There are two types of bankruptcies for individuals - Chapters 7 and 13. You can see a comparison here.

ASIDE from a bankruptcy, I am afraid that there is no other way to void a judgment.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correctt. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you