How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé was arrested in north Dakota. His bail was 200,000

This answer was rated:

My fiancé was arrested in north Dakota. His bail was 200,000 I gave them 20,000 in cash and his parents put up there house. There was a hearing on Friday and they released the lean of the house. Now they are saying that he has a new bail at 20,000 cash or bond. ANd they put a warrant out on him cause he is in custody in south Dakota. Never did he actually get out went from north to south with us marshalls. The bonding company is now telling me that the cash is non-refundable. How can they just keep money for a bond. And expect us to pay for a new bond when he was already bonded out.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The bond was for ND, not the matter in SD. However, there should have been no bond at all if they knew he had to go to SD and as this is the case, it is grounds to file a motion in the court to return the bond based on the fact that the bond was impossible to perform as there was no way he could be released.

The attorneys you spoke to are correct, the public defenders are so busy they do not have time to deal with all of the cases they have, even though most are indeed very competent attorneys. In this case, it is not a standard case and you need his attorney to go to court to file a motion to release the bond based on him having to go in custody to SD and the bond being impossible to perform and get the court to order the return of your bond money to you. If the public defender will not do so, then you have to get him a new attorney to do so as that is the only way they will get the money back to you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you