How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was living with someone for about 10 years, in that time

This answer was rated:

I was living with someone for about 10 years, in that time i purchased many things. such as a computor, TV's, sound system, generator etc.
We have split up, and i am wondering if I am entitled to the the things i purchased back?
I live in Florida.
Thank You

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney.
Roger : thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : If you purchased these things and didn't give them to her, then they're still yours.
Roger : You can certainly oblige her and sue for the recovery of your property. You could sue for trespass to chattles and conversion.

So you are saying that i can sue, I don't live at the house anymore, and is this law applocaple in the State of florida?

Roger : If it's your stuff, then it's your stuff.
Roger : She's holding your property hostage, and against your will. You have a right to recover your things.
Roger : Just because you broke up and you don't live together anymore doesn't entitle her to keep all of your things.

What if she claims it was a gift?

Roger : If she can't prove that, and you maintain that it was not a gift, the court should side with you.

Would i have to present purchase reciepts? Which i have , to prove it .

Roger : If you can prove it, that would be of a great benefit to you - - especially if she contests it.

Well i guess that answers my question, thank you very much. I will file in small claims court to rtrieve my stuff, do you think that 's the way to go?

Roger : If she refuses to turn the items over, then that's really the only option you have.

Thank you very much.

Roger : No problem.
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you