N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

Arkansas State CCW Law states that you cant be issued a CCW

Arkansas State CCW Law states that you cant be issued a CCW license if you have threatened or attempted suicide OR if you have voluntarily entered a mental health facility. I had a situation about 4 years ago where my anti-depressants quit working effectively and I went in because of suicidal feelings and to get my meds adjusted.

How can I go about appealing this restriction as I am not a risk any more?
Thank you for your question.

Federal law prevents ownership of a firearm by a person who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution. Arkansas in my opinion has gone too far in denying a CCW permit to anyone who ever went in voluntarily. Such a law discourages people who need help from seeking it, and unfairly stigmatizes anyone who ever sought treatment voluntarily at that type of facility. So, in my opinion, the law is probably unconstitutional as overly broad.

Furthermore, people voluntarily enter and leave mental health facilities every day and it is no one else's business. It sounds like the State is demanding a waiver of your medical privacy rights to even apply for a CCW. An involuntary commitment results in a public record, but not voluntary treatment.

I urge you to consult a local civil rights lawyer about how to best approach this problem. You can get a free consultation from some of the civil rights attorneys listed by location here.

Prevailing civil rights plaintiffs are routinely awarded attorney fees, so please do not hesitate to contact a lawyer out of fear that it will cost a lot of money.

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for the Excellent rating!