How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother just confided in me that he has under-reported his

This answer was rated:

My brother just confided in me that he has under-reported his income and over-reported his expenses on his tax forms for the past 14 years. He is now concerned about his actions. Will discussing this matter with an attorney bring about the attorney reporting him to the IRS or any other authority? Or will that be kept strictly confidential with the client? What would you recommend he do?

Hello and thank you for requesting me.

I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Doug.

Attorneys are bound by Rules of Professional Conduct which require strict adherence to the rules of client confidentiality. An attorney may not disclose information provided by an attorney to anyone without the client's consent in most any situation. The attorney may not aid a client in the commission of a crime such as perjury, but if your brother were to consult with an attorney about his situation, the attorney could NOT disclose the information he provides to the attorney to the IRS.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Tina and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.