How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I had comcast as an internet provider because they offered

This answer was rated:

Hi. I had comcast as an internet provider because they offered a no contract service, now that i got transferred for work they are charging me fees for terminating the "contract" we had. When i called them to inquire about the said "contract" they told me it was a 'verbal contract' done over an automated system. I know i did not agree to anything verbally or written and when i asked them to provide me with the recording of the 'verbal contract' they declined and said they don't have it because it was done by a third party company. Don't they have to provide me with that if i'm disputing that it exists? They will not remove charges but they also will not prove that there is a verbal contract.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If this matter is sent to collection, you have a right to demand that they validate the debt/amount which they seek and that it is owed. Moreover, if they wanted to sue you, they would need to present evidence to show that you agreed to pay this termination fee. The mere allegation alone, is not likely enough for a court to find in their favor. While the no contact service allows you to cancel at any time, the question that remains is if they can prove and you agreed to pay a fee to terminate the service, which is separate then a contract that requires you to keep the service for a period of time ( i.e. 6-12 months). Even if this was done by a third party company, they will still need to obtain it and provide it, at some point, if they want to sue you to collect. At this point, you will want to start documenting all correspondence with them and provide everything in writing, so there is a record of it. You can ask them to provide you with proof to support their request that you pay this fee, which they claim/allege that you agreed to. If they can not, you should ask that they stay/halt any attempt to collect on the debt, under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. (FDCPA). You can find the PDF file here.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you