How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in an car accident in August, 2013 where there

This answer was rated:

I was involved in an car accident in August, 2013 where there were 5 children involved in the car who caused the accident (I was told none of the children was injured) but I was taken to jail and released the next day. My car was impounded and has been every since and the Police Sargent will not release the vehicle, he says because I could have killed the children. I was not charged with anything and was tested for drunk driving and was under the limit, went to court on the date I was told to be there and was told that they had nothing on me. Everytime I call the Preceint to speak to the Captain my call is directed to someone else and says that they'll get back with me and don't. The last time I called I was told that it was in the hands of the Procecutors hand but when I talk with their office they have no information on my case. Do you have any idea of whaT COULD BE GOING ON AND HOW LONG CAN MY VEHICLE BE HELD?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They can hold the car only for as long as it is evidence in the criminal investigation. It is up to the prosecutor's office to agree to release the car/evidence. If they are not agreeing to release the car, then you would have to file a motion in the court where your charges are pending to ask the court to order release of the vehicle. If you were arrested, then your case has to be in the DA's office somewhere for screening and prosecution and you need to get your attorney to file the motion to release the evidence in the court since the DA is claiming they have no information and are giving you the run around.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you