How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother passed away in 2005. Her property is currently

This answer was rated:

My grandmother passed away in 2005. Her property is currently in process of being taken for taxes in Lucas County Ohio and I don't know what to do to stop the process? What should I do?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the house ever submitted to probate to have the deed transferred to the heirs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, probate was never started because I talked to one attorney who told me Probate would cost me $50,000 dollars and it freaked me out. I did pay taxes on the property for about 2 years until my money ran out. If I need to start probate to stop the current proceedings I will try.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you will have to open probate to get you the right to take over the property, but as part of that you will also have to make payment on the taxes to the tax collector to get the sale stopped. You need to get the taxes paid up and probate started because if you cannot afford to keep up with the house, the house needs to go through probate so you can get clear title to sell the home and at least get the proceeds for you to use.

Thus, probate and paying the assessor the tax money due is the legal way for you to get out of this mess and stop the tax sale.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what type of attorney should I look for to help with this? Real estate or Probate?

Thank you for your response.

A probate attorney would be the one who could help with this best.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you