Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a partial judgment to go get my son, but my attorney

is so negative about everything...
I have a partial judgment to go get my son, but my attorney is so negative about everything, will I loose the judgment and have to start all over if I get a different attorney?
11/12/2013
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hearyou're having difficulties with your attorney. However, the good news is no, getting a new attorney will not void any type of court order you already have, so you will not lose it, or have to start over should you decide you would rather hire someone else.

do I tell her that her services are no longer needed or what do I do

If you wish to hire another attorney, that is your right. There's no "right" or wrong way to do it, per se. Attorneys don't take it personally if they are terminated. If you feel like the relationship cannot be worked out, then you can contact the office and tell them that you no longer wish to you ________ lawyer to represent you, effective immediately. If you have hired a new lawyer already, you can ask that your file be copied and sent over (though really, the new law firm will likely do that anyway). Your old lawyer will have to file a motion to withdraw with the court, since they cannot ethically just drop your case, but that's a formality - the court isn't going to force you to keep them, or make them represent you if you don't want them.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney