Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My dog nipped someone.. The nip didnt even break the skin.

My dog nipped someone.. The nip didn't even break the skin. The person who came on my property was trying to sell me something, then reached out and tried to pet my dog and she niped him out of reaction. The nip didn't break any skin and the person went all out and called the ambulance, police and animal control. My dog was quaranteed for 10 days then i got her all up to date on her shots. Last week i got a letter from the law office of the person who got nipped asking for my homeowner's insurance information.. is this legit?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Last week i got a letter from the law office of the person who got nipped asking for my homeowner's insurance information.. is this legit?
.
If you got a letter from an actual law office, then you have to assume that it is legitimate. But you are under no legal obligation to help them sue by providing your insurance information and making it easy. They can force you to divulge that information, but would have to actually file suit against you first.
.
But to me, it sounds like a "fishing expedition" and if they wanted to pursue it, I would make it difficult on them by not giving them any information without a court order. If there was no injury, I find it unlikely that the person could have any damages other than medical bills and if they do try to sue, your homeowners should cover it under your policy.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So in this case, no need to obtain an attorney until actually served with court documents, or only supply the information asked IF ordered by the courts.

.
Correct. If you don't voluntarily supply them with any information, they may just go away because they don't smell any money. So I would ignore them until they actually take some real legal action.
.
If the person reached out to touch your dog uninvited, then a judge would likely consider them to have voluntarily assumed the risk of getting bitten as dogs are known to bite strangers reaching for them...
.
.
Thanks