How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17248
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i baught a house..i sold my old one which was paid off. i put

This answer was rated:

i baught a house..i sold my old one which was paid off. i put 47k down on the new house. my fience at the time begged me to have her name put on too. she was cheating and we broke up. she wont let me have someone move in because she wants to stay..but shes not paid any bills for 3 months.


Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.


As part owner you can have someone move into the property, the only way she can deny you this right is if she sues you in Court, where the Judge would look at the circumstances of the situation.


and most likely force her to pay for the bills of the house or force her to sell her share to you.


Also in court, you can sue her for the unpaid expenses, if she is 50% owner of the home on the deed, you can ask for 50% of the expenses from her.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So technically if everything goes right, I would still owe her half of what I put into it if I sale it?

Can she stop me from sailing it?

Can she stop me from kicking her out?


you would not have to owe her half if you can show that she did not put anything into the home and did not poy any of the mortgage or bills that you paid, this would have to be litigated in Court.

As part owner she would have the right not to allow you to sell the property as she has to sign off on the deed.

She can stop you from kicking her out, not a tenant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I do anything about her bringing guys to my house while my son is here and I'm at work. One of these guys I know she had a restraining order out on him for abusing beating her up. And he comes over and plays with my son.

That is serious and you can call the police, and ask for an Order of Protection for your son, against her boyfriends who pose a risk.

Unless you have this matter litigated in Court since she is on the deed the law gives her right to the property.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see. Does it make me look "Good" to a judge if I paid her 30k bills off so we could afford the house together. As well as bought her a car to travel.

Or does her not being faithful even matter in this situation or just her not paying bills?

Plus. If the house goes in foreclosure, Will I be the one that gets messed over or both of us. or can foreclosure be suspended till I sell it?

It would look good, and you should ask for the money back as well in any lawsuit.

If the house goes into foreclosure, the parties on the mortgage would be hurt, the only way to stop it is to settle with the lender or file a bankruptcy to stop a sale.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I sold the property and she was nice enough to let me keep the money I put into it. Could I still sue her for the money I paid her bills off with and the car I baught her that I am still paying on. The bills went like this. She paid the mortgage bill. I paid everything else. All other bills. Shes paid in roughly 11k of her, or our, money considering I was paying the other half of the bills.And what all will bankruptcy leave me with? Nothing? I need to take care of the children. Although I'm sure she would get custody. I would hope not though.

You could still sue her for unpaid expenses, even if she let you keep some of the money you put into the property.

You need to discuss with her the situation with the kids, as you may end up paying significant child support to her, and that may not be worth it for you, it may be cheaper to let her live in the home.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wouldn't get custody for the cheating if I showed proof? Or is that just for marriage or not at all? I don't know what allows me custody. Cause she's real mad at me now cause I found out about her cheating and she threatened to burn the house down if someone else moved in to pay bills. Plus hit me up for child support. So I know I'll have to fight that.

And she has to live in the home if she chooses not to leave, right?

And what would bankruptcy take away from me?

she would be allowed to live in the home as her name is XXXXX XXXXX deed.

Bankruptcy would stop the sale, and wipe out the mortgage debt and any other debts you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cheating doesnt help in custody matters for engaged couples?


And I'm sorry for being a burden, and asking questions but I don't know the law well.


What all will bankruptcy do to me? Will I keep the house and lose the mortgage?


Will I keep my possessions?

I know bankruptcy is bad and a last thing I want to do. But What will it do to her spot on the lease and can I still sue her for the 30k? And what consequences does bankruptcy have?



1. cheating will be a factor in a custody case, and you can bring it up especially with her bringing in men to the home.

2. a bankruptcy would only stop a sale and let you live in the home if you can pay the mortgage and any past due bills.

3. You would be able to keep minor personal property such as clothes and most personal property, you would not be able to keep the house and lose the mortgage.

The bankruptcy case would not let you sue her, any money recovered would go into the bankruptcy to pay debts. The court could also force a sale of the home as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Around how much would a lawyer cost to sue her for unpaid expenses? A decent one.


And am I allowed to sell a home even If I've only had it 1 year?


a good lawyer may cost $2500-$5000 to bring a lawsuit against her it is called a partition lawsuit and forces a sale of the property, also their is no time limit on the sale of a home, you can sell it any time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So after the artition lawsuit will I need a seperate laywer to sue her for unpaid expenses and money for her debts paid? Or same lawayer will do that also?

the same lawyer would do it, that would be part of the same lawsuit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that is all of my questions. I'm new to thi whole mess and lawsuits and things. So I'm sure I'll have some more questions soon.


What can I do if my house burns down all the sudden after she says she'd burn it down but theres no proof she said it.


And She's the type to say I hit her. How can I prove I didn't..Can I record our conversations and interactions......?


We are both officers and she knows a restraining order or violence charge against me would cost my job. She's been telling everyone at work that I'm violent and I'm really not. I'm the easiest going laid back guy ever. I've never raised my voice to her.


How can I protect myself from a false charge like that?



If a person is going to make up such complaints, it is is not easy to stop them, unless you have witnesses to hire an investigator to track her actions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I allowed to record our conversation encase she says something incriminating like burning the house down then my house burns down. Or anything else for that matter that might help me in court.

if it is made to you under KY law, you can record it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If ky law says I can?

it states you are from KY, so you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

awesome. Thank you so much.

good luck, and if satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, thank you.

WALLSTREETFIGHTER and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions