How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in ND and my sons car blew a tire and the business it

This answer was rated:

I live in ND and my sons car blew a tire and the business it was at towed it after less than 48 hours. What is the law pertaining to towing vichiles after a certain amount of time?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : North Dakota Statute 3-26-02 says that an abandoned vehicle is one that has remained for a period of more than forty-eight hours on public property illegally or lacking vital component parts, or has remained for a period of more than forty-eight hours on private property without consent of the person in control of such property.....
Roger : Here's a link to the statute:
Roger : Thus, if the vehicle was on the property for at least 48 hours, the owner can have it towed. In your case, you mentioned that the vehicle was there for less than 48 hours. IF you can PROVE this, it may be that your son could sue the owner for illegally towing his vehicle.
Roger : However, it could be very difficult to prove this unless he's got some type of documentation or evidence to prove this.

ok so since he blew his tire at 12:24 am yesterday and the manager at kum and go had it towed after about 30 hours and told the tow truck driver it had been sitting for over 3 days is there something I can do that would make the business liable for the 250.00 bill we had to pay to get it back?


they do have cameras everywhere on the building. Would I be able to request to see since I know when it happened or would I have to get the police involved to check the cameras?

Roger : IF you can prove that the vehicle was there less than 48 hours, then you could file a small claims suit against the business for illegally towing your vehicle and seek to recover the fees assessed for towing.
Roger : Yes, if your son sues, he would be able to issue a subpoena for any surveillance cameras.

I think that answers my question. Thanks so much Roger :)

Roger : No problem. Glad to help. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will do thanks again

Roger : Sure.
Roger and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you