Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

In the Ann Arbor, MI policy and law about fair housing, it

In the Ann Arbor, MI policy and law about fair housing, it lists "mental limitation" in one place and "mental condition" in another. Is that refering to people with very low mental abilities only, or does it include people with mental illness? I am interested because I am writing a novel set in Ann Arbor, not for real-life application, so an educated guess would be helpful though a firmer legal opinion would be preferred.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Ann Arbor Ordinances
, Section 9:151 defines "mental limitation" as "A limitation of mental capabilities unrelated to one's ability to safely perform the work involved in jobs or positions available to such person for hire or promotion; a limitation of mental capabilities unrelated to one's ability to acquire, rent and maintain property; or a limitation of mental capabilities unrelated to one's ability to utilize and benefit from the goods, services, activities, privileges and accommodations of a place of public accommodation. "Mental limitation" includes, but is not limited to, developmental disabilities, psychological, etc. "Mental limitation" does not include any condition caused by the current illegal use of a controlled substance."

Since the definition refers to both developmental disabilities and psychological problems, mental illness would likely fall within that definition. The City Housing Policy does not define "mental condition", but anything that falls under "mental limitation" would likely qualify, including mental illness.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.