How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son who is 47 yrs old and lives with me. He is unemployed

This answer was rated:

My son who is 47 yrs old and lives with me. He is unemployed and under the care of the veterans hosp. He had an accident which required ER intervention at the local hospita. I had to sign as responsible to get him for care. I'm under medicare and social security. Now the hosp wants me to pay the bill. What do I do???

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help with your concerns,


Is your son a veteran ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, my son is veteran of desert storm. As I stated he is under care of the veterans hospital, but they are 50 mile away so I had to get quick local care so now, as I asked, who pays and how and why and what alternative do I have??

Thank you for your reply,


You asked,


"Now the hosp wants me to pay the bill. What do I do?"





Hospitals get a certain amount of Federal funds and in return, the hospital must give medical treatment to a certain percentage of their patients free of charge. You should call the hospital, speak to their accounting department of this and you should also inform them that you cannot afford to pay the hospital bill because you are on Medicare and Social Security and that you only brought your son there because the veteran's hospital was too far away.


Even if the hospital sends the bill to collections and they sue you, they cannot satisfy their judgment by garnishment because judgment creditors cannot garnish Social Security benefits, or any pension or other retirement benefits.







Andrea, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you