How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i was issued a summons but not served with 21 day can i

This answer was rated:

if i was issued a summons but not served with 21 day can i still have a default judgement issued against me.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

I think that may be reading that summons incorrectly. The 21 days is the amount of time, after you have been served, for you to file an answer to the complaint or a default judgment be entered against you.

That 21 days counts against you, not against the plaintiff, and it doesn't begin until the day that you are served.

In Florida, the process server has 120 days from the date of the filing of the complaint to achieve service on you.

So, from what I understand of your question, they can have a default judgment entered against you if you don't answer within 21 days following the date that you were served.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have heard from other lawyers that a judge can
Issue a defult based on plantiff not be able to serve me
In 21 days
Well no, if you can't be served there still is a way that they can obtain a default judgment against you.

They have to go through a process called constructive service of process and it takes longer than 21 days.

But yes, even if you manage to avoid personal service, there is a way to obtain service on you by operation of law and then get a default judgment against you.

If you want to be involved in the defense of the case at all, I would answer because ultimately you can not avoid a default judgment.
Allen M., Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you