How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own my own condo. My sister moved in with me last March (2013).

This answer was rated:

I own my own condo. My sister moved in with me last March (2013). There was no deposit, no lease. She has always paid her rent on time. However, my circumstances have changed. I need to sell and move soon. I will need to tell her to find another to look for another place. I realize that this is a inconvience for her and I explained I could make it up to her somehow. I thought I could give her a months free rent to help ease her change. However, I also thought I could be missing other legalities.
Any help?


Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.




If your sister has no lease, all you need to do is give her 30 days written notice to quit the premises. That is all you are lawfully entitled to do--you do not have to give her money or ease her out of the premises. As a responsible sibling you may choose to do so, absolutely, but under Florida law a 30 day written notice is sufficient. That is because someone without a lease is considered to be a month-to-month tenant and is therefore granted a month's notice before any change to terms takes place. That is all you lawfully have to accomplish, but if you wish to give her money to help her out, you are absolutely free to do so.


Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you