How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118169
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have inherited a house from my grandmother and mother in

This answer was rated:

I have inherited a house from my grandmother and mother in Guadalajara, Jalisco Mexico. I had a Mexican lawyer do the court work as far as getting the title of the house. Now he wants to charge me 10% of what I sold the house for as his legal services. I have already paid him approximately $3900.00 (dollars) already in legal services. By the way, he did not sell the house for me. My cousin has sold the house for me and I have given her 3% of what the house was sold for. He says that it is the law in Mexico for lawyers to charge 25% of the inheritance, but that he will only charge me 10%. That would be about $11,000.00 (dollars) that he wants. I do not think this is right, but could you please check it our for me.
Thank you,
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

He is not being completely truthful with you and the cost of probate should not be more than 4%-5% in attorney's fees of the total value of the estate. At this point if you have the money from the sale and he is not holding it, you should tell him that was not part of your contract with him and that he is not entitled to that because he would be in breach of the contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you